Thursday, October 11, 2012

Progeria Hope!



REFERENCE: Gordon et al. “Clinical trial of a farnesyltransferase inhibitor in children with Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.” PNAS (2012) 109(41) pgs. 16666 – 166671


                Between pharmaceutical companies and academic laboratories, the amount of compounds and antibodies available that can treat any number of diseases is staggering.  Either through rational design (choosing to target a protein’s particular function, shape, size, etc) or from blind mining (high throughput screens looking for a particular effect from any possible molecule), scientists are constantly searching for drugs to treat diseases.  Sometimes a particular drug is developed, honed, and specialized to treat a specific disease but its capabilities fall short.  Such was the case for lonafarnib, a farnesyltransferase inhibitor (FTI) that was originally designed to inhibit hydrophobic membrane-anchoring of GTPases, particularly Ras, which is overactive in many different cancer types.  Researchers studying Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome (HGPS, also called progeria) recently decided to repurpose this FTI to see if it could also help patients suffering this lightening fast aging disease.


                Progeria is incredibly rare: only seen in one of four million live births.  Its patients suffer from diseases of old age (stiff joints, loss of body fat, cardiovascular disease) when they are only children.  No treatment or cure currently exist and, for this reason, progeria is considered 100% fatal.  Most children do not live past the age of 13.

                A single base mutation in the LMNA gene, which encodes for the protein lamin A, causes the lamin A RNA to splice differently and therefore encode for a shorter protein, known as progerin.  Progerin lacks the proteolytic cleavage site necessary to remove its C terminal farnesyl group.  Unfortunately, this means that all copies remain membrane bound and cluster specifically on the inner nuclear membrane.  Scientists believe that progeria symptoms are, in part, due to the increased progerin concentration at the nuclear membrane.  Lonafarnib, however, can bind to farnesyltransferase target proteins and inhibit them from ever gaining a farnesyl group.  An excellent candidate for this would be the progerin protein.  Early success for progeria research showed progerin-expressing cells normalizing in structure and function following lonafarnib treatment.  Mouse models treated with the drug also display improved health.  For these reasons, Gordon et al. designed a two year initial clinical trial for lonafarnib beginning in 2007 and now they report the encouraging results.

                Twenty five children, which account for 75% of all progeria patients in the world, completed the trial.  Side effects were allegedly mild and included fatigue, nausea, anorexia, depressed serum hemoglobin, vomiting, and diarrhea.  However, several improvements in progeria-related factors were noted within the patients: increased rate of weight gain, improved cardiovascular stiffness, improved bone structure and improved audiological status.  Every child in the study improved in at least one of the listed areas.

                Aortic stiffness is an indicator of cardiovascular health.  Before treatment, the average aortic stiffness age among the progeria patients was 60 – 69 years.  Following treatment, the average dropped 40 – 49 years.  For a disease that ultimately kills via cardiovascular problems (heart attacks, strokes), these results are very encouraging.

                Interestingly, even healthy individuals express progerin and its production increases with age.  The authors speculate that aging treatments in the future might rely on FTIs should they find that progerin plays a major role in aging among non-progeria patients.


                 

4 comments:

  1. nice write up! I suffered from dementia, I was like a Psycho, I sought help from DR Jose Alessio, with his drugs, prayers and instructions I was treated and now i am free!pray to God and follow the instructions of Dr Jose, he has the perfect solutions for the following ailments,SCHIZOPHRENIA,TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURIES or TBI, DELUSIONS, BRAIN CANCER, APHASIA, AUTISM, PSYCHOSIS, PARKINSON'S DISEASE AND STROKES.He is such a genius dealing with brain and mind issues, you can write to him on joseherbals28@gmail.com He will surely be able to help you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860.   website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema,  Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. etccontact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860.   website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.comDr  Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV,  Herpes , Cancer,  Chronic Disease,  Asthma ,  Parkinson's disease,  External infection,  Als, progeria, common cold,  multiple sclerosis disease,   Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea, Heart Disease, meningitis, Diabetes,  Kidney Disease,  Lupus,  Epilepsy,   Stroke,Eczema,  Eating Disorder,  Back Pain. etccontact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now own a business of my own with the help of Elegantloanfirm with a loan of $900,000.00 USD. at 2% rate charges, at first i taught with was all a joke until my loan request was  process under five working days and my requested funds was transfer to me. am now a proud owner of a large business with 15 staffs working under me. All thanks to the loan officer Russ Harry he is a God sent, you can contact them to improve your business on.. email-- Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com. / Whatsapp number +393511617486

    ReplyDelete